DyslexiaTalk Davis Dyslexia & Learning Discussion Board
Topics Topics       Tree View Tree View        Search Recent Posts: 1|3|7 Days        Search Search      
Edit ProfileRegistration & Profile       Help/Instructions Help            ||     Follow us on:   DDAI Facebook Group Davis Dyslexia on Twitter

Homeschooling Curriculum for Dyslexic...

Davis Dyslexia Discussion Board » Early Learning, Preschool and Primary Grades » General Discussion: Teaching Methods and Strategies » Homeschooling Curriculum for Dyslexic Children « Previous Next »

Qfamily
Username: Qfamily

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELP! All those of you homeschooling dyslexic children. I have been homeschooling for 9 years and have been using ABeka curriculum. This has worked great for my 13 year old daughter, but NOT for my 9 year old son, Bryan, who is wonderfully dyslexic. Bryan just finished the week long Davis Dyslexia Correction Course, and now we need to find a curriculum that better suits HIS learning style! I cannot seem to find a language arts curriculum that is NOT phonics based! I saw a reference on this discussion board to Time 4 Learning, an online program. My son does enjoy interactive computer programs, but it is my understanding that Time 4 Learning IS a phonics based program. Also, I've seen references to Math U See for math - any comments on that program? Thank you so much for your help. We both love the Davis tools but need some ideas where to go from there in our homeschool program.

Ramsey
Username: Ramsey

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've homeschooled from the beginning and have tried different math programs. This school year we chucked yet another math program for the 12 year old and started Math-U-See. For the first few days of Math-U-See he would look at me VERY suspiciously as if to say "this is so easy, what's the trick". He has flown through 2 levels in a few months. Every child learns a little differently but this math which uses blocks along with his orientation point has made total sense to him.
Note: In Abigail Marshall's book The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Dyslexia she writes, "A child with dyslexia often has unexpected gaps in learning, and so sometimes even a very simple concept may be at the heart of a misunderstanding" pg.218. I decided to start back at the beginning with the Alpha level to be sure there were no gaps. This has been a good decision.
}

Qfamily
Username: Qfamily

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your response. I recently attended a homeschool conference where I could check out Math U see. I was impressed. I also talked to another homeschooling mom who uses it for her daughter. She likes it very much. I will definitely give it a try. Do you have a language arts/reading curriculum that you like?

Lara916
Username: Lara916

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Calvert School has recently developed a curricula for children with learning disabilities (including dyslexia). We're going into our second year of Calvert and love it, I would check it out. HTH!

Christina73
Username: Christina73

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second the Math-U-See. It has worked well for my children. We also use phonetic zoo for spelling.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page