DyslexiaTalk Davis Dyslexia & Learning Discussion Board
Topics Topics       Tree View Tree View        Search Recent Posts: 1|3|7 Days        Search Search      
Edit ProfileRegistration & Profile       Help/Instructions Help            ||     Follow us on:   DDAI Facebook Group Davis Dyslexia on Twitter

Teaching methods for a six year old?

Davis Dyslexia Discussion Board » Davis Dyslexia Correction & The Gift of Dyslexia » Questions about Davis Methods » Teaching methods for a six year old? « Previous Next »

Ronald, Lyn, Jamie and Pippa
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 1999 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where we are now:

Jamie is now 6 he has spent three years in school and is totally turned off. We want to take him out of school and teach him at home.

We are interested in the Davis Methods since it explains both his fathers successes and failures. His father was a World Cup Ski Racer, who went to Cambridge University, wrote for the Times and Daily Telegraph, can not spell and only found out he was dyslexic through Jamie.

Jamie fits he Davis profile since he happily watches cartoons in his head. He was desperate to learn to read when he went to school and since he hates doing anything badly is completly turned off after three years of complete failure. He has changed school which helped however the school is more concerned with controlling Jamie than teaching Jamie. The school have a point since Jamie is now very disruptive. Schools hate him he hates them.

We have two teachers who are not trained in the Davis method who would be willing to assist with learning the method and both parents Ronald and Lyn wish to learn the method.

What would we like:

We would like to talk/email parents and facilitators who have worked with children of a similar age.

We would also like information on home learning and the advantages and disadvantages.

Our current plan is that Jamie spends the morning learning at home and then the early afternoon on activities and projects and the late afternoon playing with friends.

We want to share our programme and the results and find out what is most effective and fun.

Christine Maxwell
Posted on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have often wondered if my son is dyslexic... I have been woking with him since he was three to help him learn his ABC's and found pictures and objects get more results than the letters themselves. He knows most of his alphbet now and he is 5 1/2. He has just started grade one and he is already saying he hates it. I have been called in to talk about Davids "bad" behavior because he will not do the work he claims is to hard. I would love to hear about the experiances of home schooling your child. I think, not only, the help with their unique way of learning but really caring your child makes it will be all the difference in the world when it comes to what he will learn and how he will grow....

Tina Newton
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi to everyone our six yr. old daughter has just been diagnosed with dyslexia and she is being home schooled by me 3 days a week and being tutored 2 days a week and also attending a learning center 3 afternoons a week and she is like a different child. When she was attending private school she hated it and cried everyday and was very ill and moody and she is so much easier to deal with now. I love home schooling her.Sincerely Tina

Deedra, Houton, Texas
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2000 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 6 1/2 yr old son who is in Kindergarten. We held him back a yr in preschool because he has a July B'day. He is experiencing great difficulty with written work. He reverses a lot of his letters and ALL of his numbers. I'm afraid he may be ADD as well as showing some signs of Dyslexia and Dysgraphia. I would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Ruth Corgan
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2000 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Deedra,
My 7 1/2 year old son started Kindergarten at 6 years old (Aug. birthday) as we did with his older brother (Sept. Birthday). That was the right decision for both of them. The older boy is a straight A student with no problems. The younger boy has lots of reading difficulties. Kindergarten was a struggle because he also had a teacher who was only interested in keeping a quiet classroom. Fortunately for first grade Daniel has a wonderful teacher.She understood that he needed to feel good about himself first before he could learn anything. It was almost Christmas before he was neutral about school. Now he likes going to school (although he would honestly prefer to be outside or in the gym). He is in the lowest reading group and he struggles. Formal gymnastics has been wonderful to improve his focus and lengthen his short attention span. He currently has gymnastics 2 2-hour sessions a week. (He loves it!) The other days we spend a lot of time reading. We are currently into Boxcar children. He reads a story to me out of one of his preprimer or primer books from school and then I read the next chapter in the Boxcar Children. Or we go over vocabulary sight words and then I read the next chapter in the Boxcar Children. We might review troublesome words in clay and I read a chapter in the Boxcar Children. He is at the "learing to read" stage. He struggles so hard with the words that most of the comprehension is lost. His school really emphasises phonics while The Gift of Dyslexia emphasises sight word reading. If he continues to stuggle when he is nine (3rd grade) we will look into a Davis teacher for him. We spend 1-1 1/2 hours a day with our reading when he does not have gymnastics. We review words or read a story together in the morning after breakfast and before the school bus comes. In the last month he has made significant progress. The letter and number reversals are basically gone. Comprehension is improving. His father, I believe, is dyslexic but undiagnosed (and unadmitted). My son's math knowledge is quite good and he has a very good memory for detail--especially science. He needs lots and lots of repetition of words in different contexts before he "gets" it. I hope this helps. Ruth

lynda
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth, Wow, this sounds very much like my child. He is 6 and in year 1.he loves constructing things and being outside. He has a very supportive teacher who is building his self-esteem. He is not a behaviour problem and his teacher says he tries very hard. We also are doing heaps of work at home. The poor kid tries but it just doesn't click. I am finding it so frustrating and I'm sure he is too. I'm planning to start Clay modelling using the Davis Process.
I hope this makes you feel you are not alone. Lynda

Daniel Willemin (Danwill)
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynda,

I have seen several posts from you and no replies.
You might do better on the Parent Support board.
Sometimes some boards are more active than others.
You sound like a very nice person and a great mother. I wish you all the luck in the world with doing the clay work!
DW

MP Phillips
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to start the Koosh Ball technique with my 5 year old son who shows many signs of dyslexia. I spoke with a Davis Provider in my area by phone and she said he is still too young to try the Orientation method, but suggested I try the Koosh Ball technique as a start. Throwing two balls at once will be too tough for him. I tried throwing one ball (the balance was very very tough!) , but should let him catch it with both hands or only one at a time? I was instructed to throw the ball 5 times while he balances on one foot and then 5 times on the other foot. Would appreciate any details on this method. Thanks!

lynda
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2001 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have started using Koosh balls with my 6 and a half. They are also doing this technique at school. We have realised our son needs to practise catching the ball before we get him to stand on one leg. Five times on each leg is a bit much. Start with doing it for 3 times. There are also focusing techniques to use with young children It may be available on line? Clay work has started and Jack is up to letter H, he can say up to then forwards and backwards now so I presume he is visualising, which seems to be a step in the right direction.Lynda

Abigail Marshall (Abigail)
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2001 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, Lynda, its really cool to hear from you. I see from your email that you are in Australia - so its exciting to hear of a classroom that has already integrated Davis Learning Strategies.

The techniques for youngsters (ages 5-7) are explained in the manual that comes with the Davis Learning Strategies kit. Information is at http://davislearn.com/kits.htm - and on line ordering is coming soon. That manual contains instructions for the focusing exercises as well as the koosh ball work.

It would be appropriate for a parent of a 5 year old to buy this kit for the information, instead of the Symbol Mastery kit which is geared more toward students age 8 and over.

-Abigail

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page