Assesment and Alignment

Are you a parent working with your own child? Share here:
tkhead

Assesment and Alignment

Post by tkhead » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:56 am

I have "The Gifted Dyslexic" and have been trying to go through the Perceptual Ability Assessment and the Alignment procedure with my son who is 10 and it is not going well. When trying the assessment he couldn't seem to get any pictures to stay in his hand. He could give me detailed information about different things he couod imagine, but he couldn't imagine them in his hand. So I decided at that point we needed to do the Alignment rather than the Orientation.

Then when we began the Alignment procedure he had difficulty with "release." He said that it didn't make sense to him. I finally asked him to just do what I said without understanding it. He did and then he seemed to be able to relax, until the point I said feel his toes from the inside. He opened his eyea and somewhat upset said he just didn't get it. I tried to move him on, but by that time I was starting to get a bit frustrated with the process as well. I wanted to stop but he wanted to keep going. So we did. He said he couldn't get the feeling of getting up while still sitting down. I tried to give him time, but often if he doesn't get something right away he gets upset. I then asked if he could imagine it happening and he said he could. He seemed to get the part of the imaginary him standing behind and putting his hands on the shoulders. Then I thought we were finally making progress when he opened his eyes and started asking questions wanting to know why we were doing this.. I got upset because he stopped the process before it was finished, that he had opened his eyes when I hadn't told him to. He always wants to totally understand something before he does it and won't just go with it and see how it turns out. I don't think he would have done this with someone else, but I have always tried to encourage him to ask questions when he doesn't

He's had lots of tears through this process when, I thought it was going to be easy and should help him. He really wants to do better, and wants to read better. But he wants to understand it all first, and I hardly understand it myself, even after reading through the book twice and thw process multiple times.

I'm certain that the dyslexia is his problem. His dad, who does very well covering it up, also struggles with writing words and numbers backwards or in the wrong order. Unfortunately, because he learned to cope on his own, he d

Worldreader

Re: Assesment and Alignment

Post by Worldreader » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:42 am

Don't be upset, it happens. I would really try to help you out in this matter. I suggest you to consult this issue with some professionals may be they can give you the best advice.

New2this

Re: Assesment and Alignment

Post by New2this » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello. I see your post was awhile back, I was wondering if you ever received any guidance on teaching the alignment technique? I am experiencing the same challenges with my 8 yr old son. Thank you.