Designing a Dyslexic Program for my doctorate

Are you a parent working with your own child? Share here:
dotcruz

Designing a Dyslexic Program for my doctorate

Post by dotcruz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 am

I am working on my thesis proposal for my doctorate. I have decided to design a dyslexic program that would work specifically in Saudi Arabia, so for Saudi students within their culture. As part of my research, I will be getting feedback on my design from teachers and students primarily from Saudi Arabia but also the Middle East. To start off my proposal, can I get some feedback form this forum on what you recommend that is needed or would like to see more of in a dyslexic program whether your particular dyslexic program has it or not?

Thank you!

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Designing a Dyslexic Program for my doctorate

Post by AbigailM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 pm

The book The Gift of Dyslexia has been translated into Arabic and is available from Jamalon: http://jamalon.com/en/3080657.html

There are Arabic-speaking Davis Dyslexia Correction providers in Lebanon and Egypt, and a Davis Learning Strategies (DLS) mentor in Bahrain. DLS is a modified program geared to primary school students in a classroom setting, providing foundational skills rather than addressing dyslexia. We feel that a program for dyslexia needs to be provided in a one-on-one setting with the student to address individual needs, but that the basic tools we use can be learned in a group setting and can reach younger students before they begin to fall beind in school.

Davis methods can be readily adapted to different languages because the approach to learning is meaning-based, rather than being tied to sounds of specific languages.