Advice

Network and share here
tommyb

Advice

Post by tommyb » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:58 am

Hello,

I’m new to the group and wanted to get your advice on something please. I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was about 12 years of age. I’m now 24 and I’m trying to build a career for myself. Last year I got a management position (complete luck) but when I took it up, I wasn’t good at it. I come across lazy and I didn’t understand the job itself. Everything seems like a massive task and I felt like it was all too much. I since left there and started a new management position. Again, same is happening. It takes me a while to pick the job up and I still don’t feel like I can grasp it. I struggle with my time management and planning. I don’t feel like I’m good enough for the job. Does anyone else put things off because the tasks feels like it’s too big to complete? Or is it just me?

Jez

Re: Advice

Post by Jez » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi tommyb, I was diagnosed at the age of 5, now 32. Spent my entire life trying to keep my Dyslexia a secret, Especially at the work place. But now having to deal with years of fight this.
But I feel I can relate to your situation.
Still finding my feet in a management position for an engineering company. I would advice you to make notes of everything important. Then whenever you have a minute put your notes into a final draft book for your own referance, kind of like your own personal manual. Dont worry about it being legible to others, it's only for you. I find being a dyslexic, even if the note has a drawn simble, that can trigger my memory better than a paragraph of text. Most importantly don't ever feel your not good enough, always keep your chin up!. The best managers I've worked under all have confidence. This isn't easy because our Deslexia can feel like we're being dragged through mud. But focus on what your good at and put extra time into what your not in your own time. Yes it can feel like an opportunity is too big. But never turn down an opportunity, you can always learn how to do the job later.