Body mechanics and dyslexia

Network and share here
meggieann86

Body mechanics and dyslexia

Post by meggieann86 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:39 pm

I am currently a college student who is studying to be a physical threapist assistant. I was dignosised in 3rd grade and have learned pretty well how to navigate the school system with dyslexia. But I am recently having a very difficult time understanding my body positioning when I am doing things like transferring patients. I keep failing because of this. I have been un coordinated my whole life but never thought of it as having anything to do with being dyslexic till now. Any suggestions on how I can become more self aware of my body mechanics? or information I can show my instructors to make them understand the real issue?

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Body mechanics and dyslexia

Post by AbigailM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:37 am

Megan, your body awareness issues can definitely be tied to dyslexia -- both are symptoms of disorientation.

The Davis approach includes orientation training combined with koosh ball practice -- these are described in the book The Gift of Dyslexia.

As you are still in college I think you might find it worthwhile to work with a Davis Facilitator -- you can find listings at http://www.dyslexia.com/providers.htm