The truth on Dyslexia

Exploring the talents and abilities that accompany dyslexia
Dana70

The truth on Dyslexia

Post by Dana70 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 pm

There is no gifts or talents with dyslexia. It is a neurological disorder, and that is the bottom line. It impedes your life and erodes every area in your life. You are treated differently from your previous existance, and you have so many limitations you no longer are really a part of equality in society.

It depends how dyslexia occurred and what age you are. I would like to set the record straight once and for all that dyslexia is not a childhood issue or problem that parents seek out information for. Sometimes, dyslexia is a condition that a few adults have, adults at 47 years of age like me.

With me, it was a tragedy. It was a tragedy that was not foreseen nor wanted. It has caused me great pain in many areas in my life and has effected all my previous relationships. This condition has painfully and dramatically changed my entire life since I was 40 years old, and not in a good, positive way.

There are two ways to perceive a condition. One way is the positive approach, but in reality it is a condition that sets severe limitations on your life and when someone was once normal neurologically in writing skills, it is absolutely devastating.

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: The truth on Dyslexia

Post by AbigailM » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Dana70, you have confused "acquired dyslexia" with "developmental dyslexia."

Usually the word "dyslexia" refers to developmental dyslexia, which is inborn and usually manifests in early childhood. Individuals with that pattern of development have a wide array of gifts and talents, which have been explored widely by many researchers. The dyslexia stems from differences in brain development, particularly in left-brain structures. In addition to our own web site at www.dyslexia.com - a good site to learn more is http://www.dyslexicadvantage.org/ Brain scans of dyslexics show more robust activity and connections in different parts of the brain than in nondyslexics. A good example is the image posted here, which is an overlay of an image of a DTI image of a dyslexic man over a person with a more neurotypical pattern of development: https://blog.dyslexia.com/research-assymetry/ It is easy to see that the dyslexic person has much stronger right brain development -- that's an indication that the person has gone through life relying more on right-brain thinking strategies, which are often associated with stronger visual-spatial and intuitive thinking skills, and thus developed stronger neural connections there.

If you have dyslexia that only developed as an adult, then it not an inborn trait, but more likely the result of a traumatic injury, stroke, or some other illness or environmental factor causing brain damage. Something happened to you that caused a disruption in the neural connections you had formed growing up, and you apparently have not been able to develop alternative connections to compensate. (Obviously not an easy thing to do in adulthood).

EricRomm

Re: The truth on Dyslexia

Post by EricRomm » Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 am

Acquired dyslexia or alexia may be caused by brain damage due to stroke or atrophy. Forms of alexia include pure alexia, surface dyslexia, semantic dyslexia, phonological dyslexia, and deep dyslexia.

Developmental dyslexia refers to dyslexia which is genetic and present from birth, subsequently 'developing' over the course of time.