Mind's eye

Davis Methods - Theory and Practice
Andy

Mind's eye

Post by Andy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:47 am

Is there any reasonable explanation, why mind's eye is situated in 15-30 cm behind and above?

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Mind's eye

Post by AbigailM » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:43 am

Andy, the location of the mind's eye for orientation is simply a matter of discovering what works from trial and error.

When Ron Davis first was working with clients in 1980, he thought each person's mind's eye would be different, so he would spend hours and often days with each client allowing them to explore and experience different positions. It took a long time for most people to find their orientation point, and in the meantime the experience could be quite unpleasant, as of course the process of exploration was extremely disorienting.

He observed that in the end, everyone's optimum point ended up in close to the same position above and behind the head.... so it simply made more sense to start from there, and then use the fine tuning process to figure out each person's optimum position.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:26 am

Hello Abigal, thanks for your reply. And a special thanks to Davis for his method.
My son passed course by Davis in one of certified centers two years ago. You write parents often have a temptation to rush. I had no temptation, I had to rush. There were only 5 months before primary school graduation... Hopefully my son got over the most of his problems. From time to time he has some difficulties (not problems), and fortunately now I know what to do.
In "The Gift of Learning" Davis gives the explanation of mind's eye position out of the head, referring to brain cells responsible for disorientation, but it does not seem to be scientific. Actually I would like to know if there are any related researches explaining Ron's idea.
Thanks again.

Deb

Post by Deb » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:02 pm

I have been working with my 9 year old dyslexic daughter with varying degrees of frustration. We went through Orientation following the dialogue in "Gift of Dyslexia". I thought her mind's eye was on the orientation point above and behind her head since we went through all the steps, and she could point out where it was....but today in our discussion, it sounds to me that she pulls her mind's eye OFF her orientation point to look at her anchor lines (to make sure they're straight) and seems to look UP the lines back TO her orientation point. She says she can't see the "dots" (when the anchor lines come together). She just either sees the tops of her ears, head, or just lines. Is this normal? How can I help her see what she is suppose to see? In the dialogue, it says, "Move your mind's eye to the place where the three lines come together. Tell me when it is there. Do you see three dots or one?" I thought I did this with her, so why can she not see her dots? Did I do something wrong? Do we just start over? We are both frustrated and I only want to help her find her potential! Thank you for any and all help!!

AbigailM
Webmaster

Post by AbigailM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 am

I'd suggest that you practice release with her, and then go back over the Orientation instructions again, taking it very slowly and carefully. Or if you are both finding the mind's eye orientation to be too confusing, you could try switching to Alignment.

Remember that any time there is any sense of frustration, it is time for a break or release.

Deb

Post by Deb » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Thank you, Abigail! We took the time to go back over the Orientation instructions again and she finally was able to correctly put her minds eye on her orientation point and can now see her "dots." She was over-thinking how in the world she'd see three dots when she was looking at 3 lines going away from each other.....so after some drawings, discussion, and simply listening to the orientation instructions, she finally understands and is "there." It's only day 3 but she easily said the alphabet backwards (it was simply making her angry when we did it before) and when we worked on one of our trigger words today she delighted me with her detail and creativity. I'm hoping we can really see a difference in her spelling; it is purely phonetical, which I understand is her "old solution" to that disorientation. Thanks again for responding.

AbigailM
Webmaster

Post by AbigailM » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Thank you so much for reporting back - I'm delighted to learn that things are now going well and your daughter is able to begin to use the Davis tools. Keep in mind that improvement in spelling will happen, but it will take time because English spelling is so unpredictable and erratic. With the Davis tools your daughter will start to develop stable perceptions of words she reads, and with the spell-reading exercise along with the attention to letter sequence and appearance with Symbol Mastery, she will start to correctly spell many common words and will start to be able to learn new spelling words much more effectively.... but unfortunately no magic solution to the difficulties that are created by the complexity of the English language. It's not bad that she currently spells phonetically -- it's all she has to go on if she doesn't have a stored mental picture of the letters of the word in her mind. But with practice spelling should start to come easier and you can expect a gradual and steady improvement over time.