Kindergarten

Davis Methods - Theory and Practice
Unsure

Kindergarten

Post by Unsure » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 pm

My son is at the middle of the kindergarten year and his teacher has started asking questions. The other kids can all count past 12 and he can only get to 7, he doesn't recognize letters. He has trouble with fine motor skills like scissors, the other kids all know how to spell their first names and almost all their last names but he's still struggling with his first name. I asked him to spell his last name and he spelled it backwards. He has trouble following more than one instruction at a time. We already took him to the optometrist to check his eyes and they said he's fine. I'm not sure if it's dyslexia or something else but some of the signs definitely sound like dyslexia.

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Kindergarten

Post by AbigailM » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:31 pm

The issues you are describing definitely sound like early signs of dyslexia.

Other than the problems you describe, does your son shows other signs of difficulty or delay?

Are there other areas where he seems to you to excel or do as well or better than other children his age?

I'm asking these questions because for a child age 5 or 6, it can be difficult to sort out issues that are simply tied to developmental readiness from dyslexia. So a look at the overall pattern of learning helps to get a sense at an age when formal diagnosis is difficult.

Unsure

Post by Unsure » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:54 am

He's always mixing up him and her with he and she, he still only scribbles when he Colorado but he's always very proud of his colouring. When I read to him he can only sit through short books that I read when my daughter was 2, if I read anything longer he appears to get bored and can't sit still. If I ask for a fork he brings me a spoon, he always needs constant reminders of what he was supposed to do. He's a very sweet little boy and everyone loves having him around, but now they're talking about holding him back a year and that would break his heart to not be with his friends so I'm really trying to figure out what I can do to help. We've been playing games like go fish for his numbers and even getting his sister to help with letters but he's still really struggling

Unsure

Post by Unsure » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:13 pm

Sorry just re read the comment you left and realized you asked if he excels at anything. He loves to sing, if there's music even if he has never heard it before he wants to sing. And organizing things.. We've found him playing with hot wheels and he puts them all in a circle all in order. Or the game battle ship, he loves setting up all the ships, chess he likes putting the pieces in the same order on both sides. It's sometimes a hassle to get him to focus on one thing but once he does he's very determined to finish

AbigailM
Webmaster

Post by AbigailM » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Obviously no one can give you a formal diagnosis online -- but your son definitely does sound like he's got a dyslexic learning style.

I would encourage you to read the book The Gift of Dyslexia because that will give you more insight as well as a different perspective than you might get talking to experts like child psychologists, as the experts often see things through the lens of a disability or disfunction.

When is you son's birthday and how old his he? You don't need to answer here-- but generally holding back a dyslexic kid is NOT a good idea, because it does nothing at all to address the issues causing problems, and may even delay eligibility for other school services. However, if your son is either on the young end of the spectrum for his his grade -- for example, if he has a summer birthday -- or if he is physically very small for his age, an extra year of kindergarten might be in order. Even with dyslexia, developmental maturity is a big part of the picture.

If you haven't done so already, you might consider evaluation by a speech and language therapist.

Davis Facilitators can work with younger children -- we have a program called the Davis Reading Program for Young Learners -- so if you live near a Davis Facilitator that might be something to look into. You can find listings of all facilitators here: http://www.davismethod.org/

antonio

Post by antonio » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:33 am

Hello there,
What are some good books for kindergarten kids?
Thanks in advance

AbigailM
Webmaster

Post by AbigailM » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Are you looking for books to read to your child? or books that your child can use for reading practice or to build reading skills?

esau05

Post by esau05 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:57 pm

Hi!
You can get some picture book. Your child will take time but will recognize the picture. Or you can get basic books of kids.
Thanks