Dyslexia Mixing Up Facts

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
voltmaster

Dyslexia Mixing Up Facts

Post by voltmaster » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Hi all -

I've recently started seeing someone who's 26 years old and she has said she has dyslexia, or had a form of it when younger.

Since dating we've been running into issues where one day she will say something, some random fact, and then the next week the details will be completely different. Obviously in affect this sounds like lying. For example she's mentioned that her work contract has particular clauses in it and then the following week she tells a completely different story.

Tonight she's apologised for another mixed story where she said it was her friend's birthday two weeks ago (and they went out for dinner for it), only to tell me tonight that it is actually next week. She's mentioned that this is a consequence of her dyslexia and I just want to check whether anyone is aware of this as a symptom.

I already know a bit about dyslexia and the issues it causes and have also just done some more research online. I however cannot find much or anything saying that normal facts and statements being change or story changing. Is this something that is common with dyslexics?

Tendaba

Re: Dyslexia Mixing Up Facts

Post by Tendaba » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:31 am

Not sure, following to learn more too.

AbigailM
Webmaster

Post by AbigailM » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:03 am

Here are some common situations that result in miscommunication related to dyslexia.

1) Most dyslexic individuals think primarily in pictures, rather than with the sounds of words. They often have difficulty with abstract words that don't have a mental picture to go along with them. These include many small function words that are commonly used in writing and speech and can be important for ascertaining meaning -- words like to, from, before, after, left, right, etc. Later on the person will remember the key ideas of a conversation or something they read, but may have missed the meaning. This can also come up in speech, because the person may inadvertently use the wrong word without realizing it.

So dyslexia could be the reason that a person misunderstands, misremembers, or misspeaks -- for example, hearing someone say that their birthday is "next" week, and thinking they said "last week".

2) Dyslexic people also often experience disorientation, and when disoriented their perceptions can be distorted. This is the cause of the common problems of mixing up letters and words when reading - but it could also lead to all sorts of other mistakes. So in that situation, the person really will hear things that weren't said, or see things that weren't written -- essentially because their disorientation caused their mind to play tricks on them.

languagetuneupkit

Post by languagetuneupkit » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 am

Hello, I understand how you feel. Some dyslexic adults feel unable to cope with their difficulties, whilst others have found ways to get round their problems, but changing demands at work or a new Help at work venture in life can present tough challenges. What you can do now is help her with this issue. There is no cure for dyslexia but with the right teaching and support, dyslexics can overcome their difficulties and achieve great things.

Many dyslexic people learn to cope with their difficulties, to make good use of their areas of strength and to become successful and fulfilled individuals. They develop strategies which compensate for areas of weakness, and use their strengths.