Help reading test results

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
Mommy4xover

Help reading test results

Post by Mommy4xover » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:21 am

I had my son tested in the local public school for a possible learning disability (they don't test for dyslexia). I am wondering if I should take him somewhere else to get tested for dyslexia or not. Here are his test results, any help reading and interpreting them will be greatly appreciated.

Boy, age 11 years, 5 months
He is a very social boy who loves to talk and make friends. He has played violin since the age of 4 (learning to play by ear). He loves to play with legos and video games. He struggles with writing and spelling and sometimes coming up with the word he wants to say in the middle of a story. He is also pretty clumsy. He does really well in Math and he loves History.

WISC-V
VCI (Composite score of 103)
VSI 114
FRI 118
WMI 120
PSI 83
Full Scale 111
Nonverbal 116

KTEA-3 He was given the choice to read aloud or silently and he chose to read silently.
Letter and word recognition 98
Reading comprehension 99
composite 98
Written Expression 108
Spelling 76
Composite 90
Math composite is 105

The Expressive Language Test -2
Sequencing 98
Defining (Metalinguistics) 95
Generating Examples 100
Grammar/Syntax 107
Defining Categories 89
Total Test score 97

Test of Narrative Language (TNL)
Narrative Comprehension 115
Oral Narration 110
Total 115

TAPS -3
Word Discrimination Standard scale 10- Converted standard scale 100
Phonological Segmentation 8-90
Phonological Blending 8-90
Number Memory Forward 12-110
Number Memory Reversed 8-90
Word Memory 11-105
Sentence Memory 14-120
Auditory Comprehension 10-100
Auditory Reasoning 12-110
Overall Score 101
Phonological Score 94
Memory Score 106
Cohesion Score 105

It is my understanding that they never heard him read aloud. Are these even tests that would help me determine if he could possibly be dyslexic or does it look like he might just need remedial help? Thanks

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Help reading test results

Post by AbigailM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

I am guessing based on the scores you have posted that the school has determined that your son does not have a learning disability, and will not be offering help. At the same time you clearly are concerned, and are noticing problems when he reads aloud.

We often work with students who do are struggling and who want help but who do not score poorly enough on diagnostic tests to qualify for school services. Sometimes these students are exceptionally bright, so they can keep up in school, but they are experiencing a good deal of frustration and could definitely do better if their dyslexia is properly recognized and addressed.

That is one reason we look at positive traits as well as areas of difficulties -- your son's strengths in math and love of legos suggest that he fits the pattern of a visual-spatial learner. He can be given learning tools that fit his style and will help him overcome his difficulties with spelling and word retrieval, as well as clumsiness.

Here are some resources from our web sites that might help:

> Article: The Visual Spatial Learner, https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia ... l-learner/
> On line screening tool: Is it Dyslexia? https://www.testdyslexia.com/

I would encourage you to read the book, The Gift of Dyslexia (https://shop.dyslexia.com/giftbook) --- I think the book will give you insight into your son's learning style and an idea of what you can do to help him. If he fits the learning profile described in the book, then the Davis techniques will work for him, whether or not he qualifies for a formal diagnosis of dyslexia.

languagetuneupkit

Re: Help reading test results

Post by languagetuneupkit » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:32 am

Hi there, based on the above scores your child maybe undergoing dyslexia. The dyslexic student faces a lot of challenges in the traditional schoolroom: The high ratio of students to teachers means the teacher can’t spare a lot of time to devote to teaching a dyslexic child according to the child’s needs or learning style. Individualized learning is too time- and labor-intensive — so the students are all expected to learn in the same way, at the same pace, from the same textbooks and workbooks.

Another significant challenge: The kind of book-based curricula most schools use aren’t exactly geared for dyslexic learners, who don’t do as well when confronted with heavy reading assignments, lots of writing assignments, spelling lists to memorize, and learning based almost exclusively on reading.

Instead, most dyslexic students fare much better with a curriculum that includes a multi-sensory approach that isn’t so dependent on processing (or writing) big chunks of text. Multi-sensory learning helps cement the information in the dyslexic learner’s mind through an approach that includes seeing, hearing, speaking, and doing hands-on activities.