My son is 8 excellent reading vocabulary ,and above average general knowledge he has very pot fine motor skills ,gets ni

Davis Methods - Theory and Practice
CJHA

My son is 8 excellent reading vocabulary ,and above average general knowledge he has very pot fine motor skills ,gets ni

Post by CJHA » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:57 pm

My son is 8 years old he is a free reader.Has way above average general knowledge and always has no speach problems (the opposite)I am confused with sport he has no problems he has more than enough confidence.But fine motor skills 0 and gets letters and numbers reversed??Yet can speak in Japanese?He loves everything except the simple things literacy.And writing even colouring is messy!!Home work is fine except for writing even a sentence is not ledgable!!They tried special pencils.He tried Clicker 7 which helped a bit.He has peer litracy partner and number partner.But it's as if his brain works at a greater speed than his fingers!!

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: My son is 8 excellent reading vocabulary ,and above average general knowledge he has very pot fine motor skills ,get

Post by AbigailM » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:42 am

You are probably exactly right -- your son's brain is working too fast for his hands to keep up.

You can help him using the clay modeling approach described in The Gift of Dyslexia. (It doesn't matter whether your son is dyslexic or not -- these techniques will work for any child having problems.

Teach your son the Alignment and Release techniques describe in the book, and then have him model the letters of the alphabet in clay, following the instructions in the book. Making the letters with his hands in 3-dimensions will help him overcome the problem with reversals, and simply working with the clay will help him improve motor coordination in his hands.

Your son sounds very bright and I think part of the problem is just that he is very young and has been slower to develop small motor skills-- but the clay modeling will be fun.