Slow Reader

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
daddyd

Slow Reader

Post by daddyd » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 am

Hi - I'm in my mid-40s, and I have suffered as a slow reader all of my life. It's not debilitating, but I just have trouble with things like keeping up with subtitles in a movie. In school, it was particularly frustrating, as I would often not have enough time to finish tests even though I knew the content. I assume that my reading dysfunction is due to "processing speed" and that I can't do anything about it. It's not like I can just replace my "processor" with the latest Intel chip. :-) After half-a-lifetime of reading, is my reading speed as good as it's ever going to get? Thanks for your help.

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Slow Reader

Post by AbigailM » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 pm

That all depends on why your reading is slow. If you are reading slowly because of issues related to dyslexia, then we could expect reading speed to improve once the dyslexia issues were addressed.

The two main issues that slow down reading speed with dyslexia are disorientation and picture-thinking. Disorientation will often cause perceptions to be incorrect -- for example, cause letters to seem blurred or be perceived out of order. Picture-thinking is a translation problem - most dyslexics think mostly in pictures, so they have to go through extra mental steps in order to make sense of words. This often happens at a subconscious level, so the person may not be aware that they are thinking in pictures -- but the point is that it takes extra time for the mind to make sense of words, especially abstract words without an easy picture to go along with it.