late diagnosis-frustrations

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
rendi

late diagnosis-frustrations

Post by rendi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:48 am

As a parent you always want your child to be the best they can with whatever they are doing. When you notice struggles most of us intervene and try to help in any possible. When my daughter started kindergarten at 4 (turning 5 within a month) we knew she was young and did the best that we could to prepare her school. She knew her ABC’s, could count to 100, colors, etc.… Little did we know that most kids these days start school knowing how to read.
We didn’t think much about this knowing that she is very smart and would catch on quickly. Well she finished kindergarten still not knowing how to read or knowing most sight words. Within weeks of being in first grade we hired a reading tutor and I asked for her to be tested for dyslexia only to be told she is to young to test and to continue with tutoring we will let you know when she is caught up. 1st and 2nd came and went with continued tutoring and very little advancement. She spent one semester of 3rd grade at the school before we switched schools thinking that it would be better. Once again I asked for her to be tested and was told that she is young for the grade and just needs extra help. Throughout the years homework has gotten harder and more frustrating. In the middle of her 4th grade year we made the decision to move to Texas from California. This is when dyslexia was brought the forefront! Within a month of being in school here her teacher called me into a meeting told me her thoughts and asked if for permission to test. We were elated that someone finally noticed that the issue had nothing do with her age!
Now we face a whole new set of struggles, somehow she has to complete a 3 year program that is usually started in early elementary. She started the program with about 2 months left in 4th grade. So we had an intense summer of driving and hour and half round trip to a college for a special dyslexia reading program and doing eye training at home all while still trying to let her be a kid and enjoy the summer.
Onto 5th grade where dyslexia training, DT, has resumed at school. She has such a full schedule at school and is getting pulled in so many different directions because everyone of her teachers is doing their absolute best to make sure that she is going to succeed. With that said we have a lot of long nights doing homework that consist of everything from reciting the ABC’s to converting fractions and doing science projects. Because she has to work on something from every grade there are many attitudes with stomping away, crumbling homework and throwing it, slamming doors, etc. with results of being grounded. As a parent I always give in because I know that she is frustrated with the situation as a whole.
Since being diagnosed dyslexic I have become somewhat of a “dyslexia nerd.” I have read many articles, done research on people dead and alive that were either thought to be dyslexic or are. After doing all of the research I sit my daughter down to have a talk with her. I tell her that many people who are dyslexic developed some of her favorite products. I name a few and I explain that many people in the arts and sciences are dyslexic. I finally saw her become okay with being dyslexic. She has been so frustrated thinking that she wasn’t going to be able to be successful in life because of this. I cannot express the positives that come out of high profile people coming forward with being dyslexic to raise awareness for this learning disability.