Time and Dyslexia

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
DoctorB

Time and Dyslexia

Post by DoctorB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 am

I have only very recently realised that my experience of time may be related to my dyslexia.

I am obsessive about being rediculously early for everything but I now realise that may be a learned behaviour because I am so useless at judging how long it will take me to get tasks including walking, driving or taking a train will take. The more complex the journey the earlier I will get to my appointment.

Another thing is that although I can have vivid memories of events in the past, I can really struggle to remember the order of those events or exactly how the event unfolded over time.

Other people seem to remember events in a long string, like a very long string of pearls ... I seem to remember events like one big jar of pearls all mixed up in front of me. I remember the pearls but not the order.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

I only recently thought that this may be a dyslexic phenomenon, but maybe it is just me 😀

I am brand new on here so as a bit of background I am a medical doctor and the CEO of a company in the U.K. I struggled with classic dyskexic symptoms through my early childhood until I started to receive help. I have learned a lot of coping skills. Punctuality and disorganisation were common problems as a child and young adult. Technology has helped hugely. Thank god for spellcheck eh ... 😀

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Time and Dyslexia

Post by AbigailM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 am

Dr B, time management problems are pretty common with dyslexia. We think it develops in part because dyslexics tend to disorient much of the time and don't have a consistent sense of time. If you have ever gotten focused on a task or activity for what felt like 10 or 15 minutes and then find out that a couple of hours have gone by -- that is an example of the effect of disorientation on time perception.

Dyslexics also tend to think globally rather than sequentially -- so your example of the string of pearls vs. the jar is a great metaphor. The global thinking style can be the reason why you might find that you see solutions that others miss -- because you are able to take in more information at once and mentally view things from multiple angles or perspectives. Good skills for a medical doctor and CEO to have.