Psychologist doesn’t seem to understand Adult Dyslexia

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
User123

Psychologist doesn’t seem to understand Adult Dyslexia

Post by User123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm

I was able to talk to the psychologist I have been referred to before my upcoming appointment and he insisted that it was only letters rearranging themselves visually. I told him I didn’t think it agreed with the resources I have been able to find in regards to undiagnosed adult dyslexia. I’ve done multiple online tests and they have all strongly indicated that I likely do have dyslexia.

Spellcheck saved this post.

chipc

Re: Psychologist doesn’t seem to understand Adult Dyslexia

Post by chipc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 pm

I think you are correct about psychologists not understanding dyslexia , for me its a translation thing, I have to translate everything in the world before I can understand it, wether it be written or verbal language, and vice versa , it is very difficult for me to explain myself to others. I think its because written and verbal language is remedial to dyslexic because we learn so much quicker than non dyslexic, but it has to be the correct media, ie , looking at a thing and having an explanation of its function at the same time, dyslexic do not have a learning disability , non dyslexics lack the ability to understand us, I think we must look to ourselves for answers and understanding