Adult dyslexia testing

Davis Methods - Theory and Practice
chipc

Adult dyslexia testing

Post by chipc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 pm

I am 46 years old, I am pretty sure I am dyslwxic. I have looked for testing or evaluations near my home and couldn't find any that are for adults my age. I mainly want to be diagnosed for my own piece of mind, I have learned to live with being different from most people. Like most dyslexic I have spent my life trying to reach out and connect to people because I have felt alone since I was very young , knowing at an early age that I'm not like others. Ive read dyslexia is a learning disability, I believe that must have been decided by soneone who isn't dyslexic. The best way I can describe my issue is that its a translation thing, I have to translate everything outside of my head before I can understand it, it also works the opposite way, it can be very hard for me to relate to others what I'm thinking or how I figured something out, which I often do before anyone else, and its usually considered an abstract solution to a problem. I have an iq of 130 but I can seem very dumb to people who don't know me, I'm sure there are others who know that look and feeling ypu get when you know what people are thinking, I've read dyslexics can read what other people are feeling, one might say what a gift, but its not, when you already feel different and you can sense when someone thinks your dumb or crazy or lazy it just adds to all the frustration of being different. This is my 1st post to this site but not my first attempt to reach out to someone about my , assumed dyslexia, if there is anyone that has any information or advice about adult dyslexia I would love for you to reply

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Adult dyslexia testing

Post by AbigailM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Formal diagnostic testing can be quite expensive and is rarely covered by insurance. It can be worthwhile if needed to qualify for accommodations, but otherwise could be a case of spending a lot of money to find out what you already know.

We do provide a free online informal screening survey at https://www.testdyslexia.com/ --- this will give you a good sense of what traits you have that may be tied to dyslexia, and will also give you a short report summarizing areas of strengths and weaknesses.

Would you describe yourself as a picture thinker? That is, is the reason you need to translate things outside of your head because your brain doesn't really think in words -- so there is an extra step needed to turn words to pictures, or to put your thoughts into word? If so, that fits our view of dyslexia.

AbigailM
Webmaster

Re: Adult dyslexia testing

Post by AbigailM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Welcome to our forum!

Formal diagnostic testing can be quite expensive and is rarely covered by insurance. It can be worthwhile if needed to qualify for accommodations, but otherwise could be a case of spending a lot of money to find out what you already know.

We do provide a free online informal screening survey at https://www.testdyslexia.com/ --- this will give you a good sense of what traits you have that may be tied to dyslexia, and will also give you a short report summarizing areas of strengths and weaknesses.

Would you describe yourself as a picture thinker? That is, is the reason you need to translate things outside of your head because your brain doesn't really think in words -- so there is an extra step needed to turn words to pictures, or to put your thoughts into word? If so, that fits our view of dyslexia.