Newbie wanting to reach out

Network and share here
Happygolucky

Newbie wanting to reach out

Post by Happygolucky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site but have been reading through some posts for a while and have found them so helpful!

I was told I was dyslexic the year I left school(16 Years old). School was tough and was always told that I was stupid and would never ammount and that was that! When I left school I couldn't even spell my name and just thought this is the norm for me. My mum took me for a private test then went onto an amazing college that boosted my confidence, the college was small only around 20 people so I was lucky to get 121 support.

Years went on and I've self taught myself to read and write and never knew I could get support. I just thought you get told and that was it!

Dyslexia to me was, and in some ways still is a bit of a dirty word for me. I'd mentioned I was dyslexic in work but never spoke about it because I felt stupid not being able to read or write properly.

I now work in an office on an online forum and have been hiding my dysleixia from everyone. I had a meeting with my manager that got me to do a test for dyslexia and find out where I am at.

I thought right, I'm 26, work in an office, I have to spell very long medical words I know I've improved. Test completed and it turns out I've moved on from the last test... I was moderately dyslexic, now to find I'm severely dyslexic!

I did the test about a week ago and my manager has been amazing. I can't help feeling very low and ashamed that I need help at work.

I wanted to join this forum to read and get help off people just like me!

Sorry for the long message but I just need some guidance off people that know how rubbish it can be and where you just don't know what to do!

I would be greatful if anyone could shed some light on the old dyslexic front and how you have coped with it.

Jess
Aka- Happygolucky