Teachers surprised by diagnosis

Traits of Dyslexia - Specific Tools - Personal Experiences
AmeliaRowland1970

Teachers surprised by diagnosis

Post by AmeliaRowland1970 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am

Hello there,

I just joined this board yesterday. My daughter was diagnosed with Dyslexia. She is 13. The assessor was so brilliant. We talked in great detail about how Lauren processes her learnings. She even described how Lauren was as an infant. It was like she knew her. Lauren was very quiet. A very late speaker. Did not like books. Did not like to be read to. She got by okay at school at the beginning. As she got older and studies became harder she struggled. At almost every single parents evening they would tell me how great she is, how confident, how social and lovely etc etc. I would always get back to the same question. Do you think you see any dyslexia in her as her grades are not good and she is in the bottom set for practically everything. The same answer always came, no. They always referred to the a typical dyslexic student is not engaging, not confident, easily frustrated etc. To them Lauren was the complete opposite. Anyway, to make a very long story short. I am so glad I went with my gut instinct to have her tested properly. Now we can arrange the correct tutors for her. She has had tutors most of her life, but to be honest, I never really see any improvement. I am glad I found this board as Lauren and I start this new journey together.

Very relieved mother indeed:-)

Ta!

A